Fish Escabeche is among of Filipino favorites in a fiesta. Well, personally this meal neutralizes the presence of the Lechon baboy. Fish Escabeche requires frying the fish and making a vinegar sauce. Some cook the fried fish then cook it again with the vinegar sauce. But I prefer frying it and setting the fried fish aside. Then I make the vinegar sauce separately and pouring the sauce over the fried fish after. Anyway, it depends on your preference. You can have the fried fish soaked and cooked in the vinegar sauce. Or just keeping its fried crispy texture of the fish and pouring the vinegar sauce on top for additional taste.
- 2-3 medium fish (In this recipe I used Tilapia)
- cooking oil
- 1/2 cup red or green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1/2 cup ginger, sliced into strips
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- Wash the fish well then season with salt.
- Deep fry the fish in very hot oil then set aside.
- In a pan, pour a teaspoon of cooking oil and saute the garlic, ginger, onions and bell pepper.
- Add the water, vinegar, sugar, soy sauce and pineapple juice. Season with salt and pepper as needed. Then add the cornstarch to thicken the sauce a bit.
- Now you can either drench and cook the fish together with the sauce or place the fried fish in a serving plate and just pour over the vinegar sauce on top.